According to 2022, it will cost $250 to $500 per square foot on average to build a house in San Diego. The average labor cost is around $30 to $60 per hour. For a medium-sized home, it will take a minimum of 6 to 8 months to complete the construction project.
Important things to remember, this is just an estimated cost. The actual cost may go up to $600 per square foot if you want a custom design in San Diego.
San Diego House Building Cost Summary
It is estimated that a typical American home in San Diego may cost the following in 2022; based on the calculations below:
|Building Permit Fee||$1,000-$2,500|
|San Diego Land Cost||$500,000-$1,000,000|
|2500 Square Foot House||$625,000-$1,250,000|
|Per Square House Building Cost||$250-$500|
An Overview of San Diego’s Residential Construction Industry
Have you ever wanted to live in a city that can experience sunshine almost the whole year? If yes, then you can make a decision to move to San Diego. The second-largest city in California, San Diego is one of the most beautiful cities in the United States to live.
San Diego is known for its idyllic climate which is perfect for your living. And it also offers so many attractive places which are famous tourist spots. The city can also offer such beautiful places with a lot of beaches, a lot of job opportunities and very affordable living, etc.
San Diego is a jewel of a location and it is very well known for being one of the best places to live on the West Coast. So, you can easily move to this city which will be perfect for your dream house to start your family.
In this article, we will look at the different dimensions of building a house in San Diego and the various construction costs of the project.
Different Types of House Building Costs in San Diego 2022
The cost of house building depends on home types. Different kinds of designs and types are available in the housing market in San Diego. In the following table, you’ll the three different kinds of house building costs.
|Types of Home||Per Square Foot Cost|
Per Square Foot House Construction Cost of San Diego
You will find here a list of the latest prices in 2022 for different homes based on their square footage:
|Home Size||Average Cost||Maximum Cost||Minimum Cost|
|500 sq ft||$187,500||$250,000||$125,000|
|1000 sq ft||$375,000||$500,000||$250,000|
|1200 sq ft||$450,000||$600,000||$300,000|
|1500 sq ft||$562,500||$750,000||$375,000|
|2000 sq ft||$750,000||$1,000,000||$500,000|
|2500 sq ft||$937,500||$1,250,000||$625,000|
|3000 sq ft||$1,125,000||$1,500,000||$750,000|
|3500 sq ft||$1,312,500||$1,750,000||$875,000|
|4000 sq ft||$1,500,000||$2,000,000||$1,000,000|
|4500 sq ft||$1,687,500||$2,250,000||$1,125,000|
|5000 sq ft||$1,875,000||$2,500,000||$1,250,000|
14 Major Cost Factors of Building a House in San Diego 2022
The cost of building a house in San Diego can be explained under these factors.
1. Biggest Cost Sectors
The construction project will be divided into several different sectors. The four most expensive sectors are the following.
|Top Sectors||Cost Calculation|
|Buying Land for your House||30% of your total cost|
|Building a house in San Diego||60% of your total cost|
|Construction Cost||10% of your total cost|
|Permit Cost||5% of your total cost|
2. Buying Land in San Diego
As we all know, people are more interested in building a house than buying one. So, purchasing the perfect land for your house is a must. The cost of buying land in San Diego is about $195,000 to $3,500,000 according to the size, location, and suitability of the land.
The amount can increase up to 30% to 50% based on any specific area of San Diego. Any average plot of land in the Pacific Beach area of San Diego can go for around $1,000,000, while in the East, North, and Southside – the average land can be around $30,000 to $500,000.
The first step of building your dream house in San Diego very much depends on perfect land. So, you must be careful about choosing a perfect land. You can find so many options in San Diego. It’s a perfect place to build your dream house.
3. Permit and Other Fees
In San Diego, several permit fees need to be cleared before building a house. The average cost of building permits for a home average between $1,000 and $2,500. Again, Traffic impact fees can be around $500 to $5,000 depending on the area of San Diego.
A Septic system cost can be around $20,000 to $45,000. There are also fire mitigation fees, building permit fees, and covered inspections. For a 2000-square-foot home, these will amount to roughly $6,000 to $7,000 altogether.
For more details, visit San Diego’s official website: https://www.sandiego.gov/.
4. Building Material Cost in 2022
A variety of materials are required to complete the project. Here is the table of the materials cost in San Diego for recent years.
|Material Name||Price Ranges|
|Insulation||$0.2-$2 per sq ft|
|Lumber||$2-$8 per sq ft|
|Concrete||$4-$10 per sq ft|
|Electrical Wiring||$7-$12 per sq ft|
|Roofing||$8-$20 per sq ft|
|Flooring||$9-$30 per sq ft|
|Siding||$10-$50 per sq ft|
|Drywall||$10-$15 per sheet|
5. Labor Cost of Building a House in San Diego
The project requires different types of labor. The majority of them charge an hourly fee, but you can also hire them on a contractual basis. Below you’ll find a labor cost guide.
|Labor Type||Total Cost|
|Construction Manager||5%-10% of the total cost|
|House Framer||$5-$20 per hour|
|Plumber Labors||$30-$200 per hour|
6. Hire a Construction Manager
In San Diego, the average construction manager cost for your house will be around $1,000,000 which will charge 5% to 15% of the total project cost. The construction manager plays a very important role as he/she is a vital person.
So, the construction manager should be chosen carefully. The construction manager needs to fulfill some duties too. They are- choosing proper material, Securing permits before building a house, Controlling the whole work, etc.
Depending on the types of foundation the total price of the foundation may differ a little from one another. The average price for the foundation in San Diego County will be $1,200 to over $15,000 in 2022.
8. Framing Cost in San Diego
Framing is a vital part of the construction, as it builds the internal structure of your house before any walls, wires, or pipes are installed. It’ll cost you around $2,000 to $9,500 in San Diego for the current year.
Mainly, framing your house will dictate the size of the rooms and other important features like roofing. That’s why “Framing” is the backbone of your dream house. It needs to be done by experienced workers.
The average cost of a roof in San Diego will cost you around $25,000, but it might cost you anywhere from $10,000 to $70,000. It depends on the roofing materials and how complicated it is to install the roof in your house.
A person needs to pay around $5,000 to over $10,000 per square foot in San Diego. But it depends on the number of bathrooms you need to have, appliances that need to be installed, and any other water or sewage-running pipes that you need to install in your house.
11. Electrical and HVAC Work
An electrician can cost approximately $150 to $175 per hour. But it can take more depending on the size of the house, the total number of stories in the house, and any extra speaker systems in your house.
The average cost of an AC unit is around $7,000 in San Diego. AC systems are typically a must in this place because of the heat found in a good portion.
12. Interior Finishing Cost
On average, interior finishing costs in San Diego will be around $50,000 to $170,000 but they can run much higher according to your demand.
It’s one of the most expensive components of a house because it adds the special touches that’ll make your new house a perfect home for your living.
|Installation of Countertop||$1,000-$5,000|
|Interior Painting Cost||$4,000-$10,000|
|Installing a Fireplace||$1,500-$12,000|
|Windows and Doors Installation||$12,000-$20,000|
|Installation of Flooring||$10,000-$40,000|
|Drywall Installation Cost||$3,000-$50,000|
14. Exterior Finishing Cost
You need to do the exterior finishing so that your house will look perfect. It gives a nice view of your house. It cost you a little extra as it is expensive to build a pool in your house or an extra sound system outside the house.
- Exterior Painting Cost Around: $2,500 to $6,500
- Average Pool Cost: $15,000 to $50,000
A Quick Look at What Influences the Cost of Building your San Diego House
There are a number of reasons why your construction costs can be increased in your home building project:
- If the House has multiple stories: Depending on the size, a one-story house can cost as much as $35 per square foot and 2 story house costs as much as $27 per square foot.
- The roof has a complex design: If your house roofing is simple it will less cost you instead than a complex design. For example, a 1500 sq. ft simple roof design will cost you around $12,000 whereas a complex roof design will cost you $30,000.
- Customize design & expensive materials: The more premium materials and customize design you choose the more you have to budget for your home construction. It will less cost you if you choose a Manufactured home, instead of choosing a Custom, Modular, Panelized, or Log Timber Home.
- House contains a pool: There are 6 types of pools depending on your home size, design, and style. If you choose expensive materials for exterior and interior finishings. A concrete pool is more expensive than set-up a Vinyl or Fiberglass Pool. Waterfalls, lighting, hot tubs, or decking will add an extra $2K to over $10K for Custom Upgrades.
- The land price where you build your house: The availability of facilities, real estate trends, and supply materials all are involved to set the land price.
5 Factors to Consider When Building a House in San Diego 2022
Here are those important things you have to look at before you’ve got a plan for home construction in San Diego, California.
- Home Size: If you want to build a house with greater square footage it will cost you more than a smaller house with less square footage.
- Land Price: The cost of purchasing the land. When you decide to build your own house, the first thing is to buy land. The cost of your land needs to consider before building your house.
- The number of stories in your home: If your house is a one-story building in San Diego, then it will be very budget-friendly. But when you add more stories to the building, it will cost more.
- Design Features: If you want to build a house in San Diego, with a specific design then it will cost you a little extra. Pools, Outdoor kitchen, or Sound system cost needs to consider before starting the construction work of your house.
- Type of House: If you want to build a beach house in San Diego, then it will cost you a little extra. The beach house in San Diego is perfect for your living.
Basic 4 Steps You Need to Know Before Building Your Dream House in San Diego
If you want to build a house, you need to follow some processes. When you want to build a house, it can make you a little confused about where to start, how to manage, and what to do at the end.
Some steps will help you to finish the job properly. There are mainly 4 steps involved in building a house in San Diego.
- Step 1: First, think about the total budget. Before building your dream house, you should calculate your budget properly. And then you should work on the construction of your house and make a building plan.
- Step 2: Then, find a place for your house. If you want to build your house in San Diego, then you need to find the perfect place. Purchasing land will help you to build your dream house. A location should provide you with the overall facilities you need with proper security.
- Step 3: Plan the design and other features of your house before starting the project. A house’s design is a big decision, as you can build a simple basic single-family home or a very luxurious one according to your choice. It’s up to you what you need. But the house design is the reason which can create larger cost.
- Step 4: You need to clear all the paperwork and get the permit papers. There are building permit requirements that need to be approved before building your dream house. Now, you can build your dream house anywhere in San Diego.
Top 3 Reasons to Build Home in San Diego, California 2022
When we are going to spend a lot of money we need the assurance of the place and other facilities available there. Here are some reasons that will help you to decide on a house building in San Diego.
# The Job market in San Diego is Booming
The employment rate is increasing day by day. You can easily see the difference between recent years from the table on the official website. The city of San Diego, California, has one of the best business environments.
This city has high ratings for startups, venture capital, and safety, according to our city rankings. If you want to start a business you can easily set it up here.
There is a huge opportunity for any entrepreneur to start their start-up and building a home can save the cost of renting.
# Build a House in San Diego for Stability
There is no better way to establish yourself than to build a house. Especially if you have a family or are considering starting one in San Diego.
You feel at home in communities in this city. People in this city are very friendly. All facilities like electricity and water service are available here.
The education system of the city is very good. You’ll see how quickly your children make friends, master the school system, and feel a sense of belonging in a new environment.
# San Diego’s Weather and Environment
The weather in San Diego city is warm and gentle for living. There are several places for traveling, hiking, or kayaking. When you need some refreshment you can easily go to the beaches or visit the Seaport Village.
There is no better way to relax than watching surfers and taking your children to watch cute pandas at the World Famous San Diego Zoo.
The following are the most common questions people have asked about (San Diego House Building): FAQs
How much does a tiny house cost in San Diego?
A tiny house in San Diego usually costs between $30,000 and $80,000. The average rent for a tiny house will be around $1,000. San Diego approves the region’s first tiny house law to help to solve the housing crisis there.
How much does it cost to build a granny flat in San Diego?
The average cost to build a granny flat in San Diego is anywhere from $400 to $500. For a 1200-square-foot unit, you will have to pay $480,000 to $600,000.
How much does it cost to build a 2000 sq ft house in San Diego?
The estimated per square footage price is around $200 to $500. So Building a 2,000 sq ft house in San Diego will cost you $400,000 to $1,000,000.
How much does it cost to build a 4 bedroom house in San Diego?
A 4 bedroom house size is around 1900-2400 sq ft. So building a 4-bedroom house will cost 950,000 to 1,200,000 and the per square foot cost is $500.
How long does it take to build a custom house in San Diego?
It usually takes around 15 to 24 months to build a home in San Diego from beginning to end. First of all, building your dream house will start with a search that will last between 2 to 5 months of total time, followed by 3 to 5 months of designing the house with material and all, 8 to 12 months of actual construction time.
Wrap up the “San Diego Home Construction” in 2022
There is no doubt that San Diego is the classiest city in California. If you’re going to start a new company and live in this city then it’s the best you have taken. In this article, you will find every tiny piece of information you need for house bundling in San Diego, California.
On our site, you’ll easily find information about house building costs in all cities (Like Arizona, Montana, Texas, and Chicago) very easily. If You have any doubt about the cost feel free to ask in the comment box. Our expert is ready to clear your doubts.
Here are some other house-building articles you may find interesting:
How Much Does it Typically Cost to Build a House in Austin, TX?
How Much Does it Cost to Build a 2000 sq ft House in Georgia?
How Much Does it Cost to Build a 3,000 sq ft House in Florida?
How Much Does it Cost Per Square Foot to Build a House in Pennsylvania?
What is the Average Cost Per Square Foot to Build a Homes in East Tennessee?