The average cost of replacing carpet with hardwood is between $10 and $25 per square foot (not including labor costs) in 2022. And, replacing carpet floors with carpet will cost you between $5 to $15 per square foot in recent years.
It can cost you a little more or a little less depending on many factors like location, material supply, wood types, styles, size, installation cost, and labor cost.
It also depends on factors like carpet types and quality. For installing hardwood in an average size area of 2000 to 4000 square feet, a couple of labor can take one to three days to complete the task.
Replacing Carpet With Hardwood Cost Summary
A room that has carpet can cost as much as the following in current years to replace with hardwood flooring:
|Type of Replacement||Per Square Foot Cost|
Carpet vs Hardwood Flooring – Which is Right for You?
Carpet floors vs hardwood floors is a long-debated issue in the flooring industry. You might have carpet flooring in your house.
But after inventing the long-time replacement cost, maintenance cost, resale value, and durability, you may decide to replace a carpet with hardwood.
Whatever the reason, if you want to replace the carpet with hardwood, the first thing you have to consider is cost.
In this article, we will try to find out the replacement cost of carpet with hardwood flooring and details related to this topic.
4 Major Factors Affecting Hardwood Flooring Installation Costs in 2022
Some cost factors can directly affect the hardwood floor installation cost. Also, you can try a DIY job to save money. In this section, we include the cost factors and DIY job costs.
1. Average Hardwood Cost
Varying on the type and quality of the hardwood it can cost you around $10 to $25 per square foot. Besides solid hardwood flooring, a variety of engineered hardwood like Maple, Brazilian Cherry, Brazilian Koa, White Ash, Heart Pine, Acacia, etc is available in the market.
It can cost you around $6 to $20 per square foot for basic to high-quality engineered wood. There are some floating wood flooring available in the market which can cost you around $8 to $16 or more depending on the design, size, and quality of it.
2. Labor Cost for Flooring Installation
Labor costs vary from location to location and mostly depend on the availability of the labor.
For hiring a professional and getting the job done by a professional, you may need to cost between $4 and $8 per square foot or more.
3. Material Cost
Besides hardwood, you will need to buy some other materials like parquet glue, nails, a hammer, and obviously a good saw. These materials can cost you $3 to $5 per square foot or $200 to $500 around 2022.
In the end, you can apply a hardwood flooring finisher over the surface for glossy finishing. It can cost you $100 to $500 per gallon of the finisher.
4. DIY Method: How to Replace Carpet with Hardwood on Your Own?
A DIY job is the best way to save some money from labor costs. If you want to complete the installation on your own, it will cost around $12 to $30 per square foot including hardwood flooring cost and other materials costs in recent years.
Top 9 Different Types of Hardwood Cost in 2022
There are different types of wood available in the market which have different features and cost differently. According to the house owner’s choice, it can be used for hardwood flooring.
Let’s see what the different types of wood flooring cost including installation costs.
|Types of wood||Cost per sq ft||Installation cost per sq ft|
Average Cost to Replace a Carpet With Hardwood for Different Size House
Carpet removal and hardwood floor installation average cost is $17 per square foot, the minimum cost is $10 per square foot, and the Maximum cost is $25 per square foot in 2022.
Some owners may install hardwood floors in one part and carpets in others. Here is the cost table of replacing a carpet with hardwood for a different size room or house.
|Total Area||Average Cost||Minimum Cost||Maximum Cost|
|400 sq ft||$6,800||$4,000||$10,000|
|500 sq ft||$8,500||$5,000||$12,500|
|600 sq ft||$10,200||$6,000||$15,000|
|700 sq ft||$11,900||$7,000||$17,500|
|800 sq ft||$13,600||$8,000||$20,000|
|900 sq ft||$15,300||$9,000||$22,500|
|1000 sq ft||$17,000||$10,000||$25,000|
|1200 sq ft||$20,400||$12,000||$30,000|
|1500 sq ft||$25,500||$15,000||$37,500|
|1800 sq ft||$30,600||$18,000||$45,000|
|2000 sq ft||$34,000||$20,000||$50,000|
|2200 sq ft||$37,400||$22,000||$55,000|
|2500 sq ft||$42,500||$25,000||$62,500|
|2800 sq ft||$47,600||$28,000||$70,000|
|3000 sq ft||$51,000||$30,000||$75,000|
|3200 sq ft||$54,400||$32,000||$80,000|
|3500 sq ft||$59,500||$35,000||$87,500|
|3800 sq ft||$64,600||$38,000||$95,000|
|4000 sq ft||$68,000||$40,000||$100,000|
|4500 sq ft||$76,500||$45,000||$112,500|
|5000 sq ft||$85,000||$50,000||$125,000|
Note: In that table, we include approximate costs including minimum, maximum, and average costs for different size areas.
5 Key Advantages of Replacing a Carpet With Hardwood in 2022
There are several benefits of hardwood over carpet floors. We find out five major advantages of hardwood over the carpet which make people replace a carpet with hardwood.
Benefit #1: Resale Value
From carpet vs hardwood resale value, hardwood resale value always comes superior. Hardwood floor installation has a direct effect on the house’s resale value. It increases the house’s resale value.
According to USA today 54% of the house buyers want to pay more to buy houses with hardwood flooring.A Recent Study by USA Today
Houses with hardwood flooring are in great demand by house buyers and renters. Research says houses with hardwood floors stay on market for less time compared to houses with carpet floors.
Benefit #2: Maintenance
Hardwood is arguably very much easy to maintain. You can clean the spills, dust, and debris with a vacuum cleaner or mop with hot water. But the carpet is difficult to maintain.
You have to clean it regularly otherwise it will fade its beauty. To maintain an old carpet or new carpet you have to use high-quality products which will increase the cost further.
Benefit #3: Long Durability
When questions come about durability and longevity, hardwood always comes before carpet. We all know with proper maintenance high-quality hardwood floors can last about 70 to 100 years or even more.
Carpet material can wear out and be damaged easily. Depending on the quality, carpet can last around 5 to 20 years. Due to this advantage, anyone can get a better resale value than a carpet-covering home.
Benefit #4: Easy Replacement
If any parts of the hardwood are worn out or get damaged you can replace the damaged wood with a new one. You will have the same types of hardwood anytime in the market.
But if any parts of the carpet get worn out, first it is difficult to find the same flooring material and secondly, a new carpet can look odd to the old carpet. So, you can choose hardwood as an easy and simple replacement for your room.
Benefit #5: Personal Preference
Hardwood floor has nothing harmful in them and it doesn’t have any bad effect on the human body. Some carpets are made of wood but some are from petroleum. Some people may have allergen problems from it.
Top 6 Factors that Increase the Hardwood Installation Cost
If you know the reasons that directly or indirectly increase the hardwood floor installation cost. You can be aware of it and take the necessary steps to reduce the cost.
Let’s see how the cost can go out of the range:
- Using high-quality or expensive wood like White Ash, Brazilian Walnut, or Brazilian cherry.
- Using more thicker planks like 5” or 6” planks.
- Hiring labor for carpet removal, cleaning the surface, and carpet replacement or carpet installation.
- If you don’t have enough time to try DIY and if you don’t assist the professional.
- Buying the hardwood and other materials from a home depot, or lumber liquidator.
- Purchasing all materials and products from the installer.
9 Ways to Save Money 0n Hardwood Installation Cost in 2022
There are some effective ways to save your valuable money from hardwood installation costs and keep the cost under your budget.
Here are some tips to save money on hardwood installation costs.
- Remove the carpet, and furniture, and overall clean the surface yourself. It will save the hardwood installation time and the cost of hiring labor for the work.
- Choose hardwood quality according to your budget. There are several types of hardwood available in the market with a variety of price ranges. Analyze the market and choose the quality hardwood at a lower price.
- You can use a comparatively narrow plank for the floor. You can choose 4” plank instead of 5”. It will save your overall wood cost, labor cost, and nail and glue cost.
- If you are experienced enough you can try to install the hardwood yourself. We know it is not easy to install hardwood yourself but if you can do it, it will be a great way to save labor costs.
- You can install a floating floor instead of installing solid hardwood. Also, engineered hardwood flooring costs competitively less than solid wood. It is easy to install and takes less time to install and remove. It is more suitable to try DIY.
- You can buy the materials from the online shop instead of buying them from a home depot, lumber liquidator, or any famous big box store. You can compare the product and price, and buy the best one. Be careful while buying products online.
- If you have a limited budget you can install the hardwood based on priority. First, replace the carpet of a room which is damaged more compared to others. Reducing the scope of work means reducing the extra cost.
- In case you want to sand and refinish the hardwood, you can buy polyurethane directly from any online retailer.
- If you are willing to appoint a contractor, you can choose the contractor who gives the best offer and will ensure the quality of work. Some contractors may seem desperate to have the work at any cost. Be careful while doing this kind of deal.
Why Choose Hardwood Over a Carpet (Importance of Hardwood)
What are you going to choose: hardwood or carpet? It depends on your personal preference. But some issues may tell you why it is important to replace a carpet with hardwood. Carpets are good to enjoy softer surfaces and reduce noise.
But for some people, it might be the reason for health problems like allergens. Hardwood may not be soft or not reduce the sound, but it doesn’t have any health issues and doesn’t wear out easily.
From our previous benefit section, it is safe to say that hardwood is important for the long-lasting, classy look, reducing the maintenance cost, and increasing the monetary value of the house.
5 Important Tips for Replacing Carpet with Hardwood Flooring in 2022
Replacing a carpet with hardwood is a good decision. But before making your final decision you should keep your eye open for some special consideration.
- Hardwood is not waterproof. It is better not to use hardwood in places like bathrooms, kitchens, and laundry rooms. If you want to install water-resistant wood floors, it will cost you more than regular hardwood.
- Your lifestyle is also important in making the decision. You can replace the carpet with hardwood in low-traffic areas like bedrooms.
- Hardwood costs more compared to carpet. Make sure it fits your budget.
- Are you ready to take the hassle of refinishing it after every 10 to 15 years? Because the freshness of hardwood fades away.
- For DIY jobs make sure you have enough free time on your hands, and you have confidence, and experience for the work.
Some of The Most Frequently Asked Questions Related to Replace a Carpet With Hardwood (FAQs)
Which is cheaper carpet or hardwood floors?
The carpet floors are cheaper. Hardwood can cost $10 to $25 per square foot and carpet can cost you between $5 and $15 per square foot to install. You have to pay less to install hardwood compared to installing carpet.
Does replacing carpet with hardwood increase value?
According to USA Today, 54% of house buyers are willing to pay more to buy houses with hardwood flooring. Hardwood floors are one the best flooring options for homeowners and replacing carpet with hardwood will increase the resale value of the house.
How do I convert carpet to hardwood?
For replacing a carpet with hardwood, first, you need to remove the carpet from the original subfloor. Then you have to clean the surface, and padding, and place hardwood planks in the place. Then you have to nail the wood to hold them in place.
Is wood flooring warmer than carpet?
Yes, wood flooring is warmer than carpet. Solid hardwood has a higher thermal mass that’s why it maintains the heat longer than carpet. But carpet fibers reduce heat compared to wood flooring.
How long should the wood floor sit in the house before installing it?
The wood floor should sit for at least three to five days in the house before installation. Acclimation time can vary from wood to wood. Some may take more time and some may take less time. Acclimation is important for the wood to reach an equilibrium between wood moisture and the sir of the room.
What is the best color of hardwood floor for resale?
There are several color finishes available in the market. But dark stained hardwood color has much popularity among the house buyers and has better resale value. You may choose a dark stained color for wood floors like dark walnut, espresso, or antique brown.
Are hardwood floors worth it?
Installing hardwood in the house is always a good investment. It increases the house’s resale value. House buyers and renters are willing to pay more for hard wooden floors. According to CNN reports, it can help to increase the house value by 3% to 5%.
Final Thought on Replacing a Carpet with Hardwood in 2022
In this article, we tried to explore how much it would cost to change a carpet with hardwood. It is a little bit expensive but a good investment for the future.
In a section, we saw why it is important to install the hardwood and what are its benefits.
Important Suggestions: As it is not an easy process we highly recommend you hire professionals. This is all about the topic. If you have any questions or suggestions, you are most welcome.